Before Your First Appointment…
- If you have insurance, call your insurance company to verify your benefits.
- Staff will send you via email the initial forms to be completed. These are online, secure forms. They must be completed and submitted prior to the session. Please also remember to bring to your initial appointment your id, insurance card, EAP authorization (if applicable), and most recent evidence of custody (if authorizing services for a minor).
Your First Appointment
A lot of people are nervous before their first session. Please share with your therapist what does or doesn’t work for you. This is not just your initial assessment. This is the time when you assess what your therapist can offer you. Remember, you’re the most important person in your session!
If you are coming to the office for an in-person session
Please remember our front door stays locked to ensure privacy and prevent disturbance of the therapy process. Message your therapist or knock on the door so staff can let you in.
Please note children must be accompanied by a parent or guardian when coming to the office for an appointment, even when it is for an individual session.
If you are receiving teletherapy
- We use HIPAA compliant platforms for all teletherapy appointments
- Please make sure you are in a private place where you can talk freely and not be overheard.
- You can use a smartphone, tablet, or computer for your teletherapy session. Please make sure you either have sufficient battery life to last for the duration of the session, or connect a power supply. As well, make sure your Internet connection is adequate.
- If you have a copay amount, you will be sent an invoice via email prior to your session so that you can easily and conveniently pay online. Enter your credit card information on the secure web form and return it as requested on the form. The invoice must be paid prior to your session unless other arrangements are made.
- If the session is interrupted due to technical reasons, your counselor will call you on your phone. If the session cannot be held due to technical reasons, your invoiced amount will be credited to your account for your next session.
- On the day of the session, you will receive a link from your counselor for the teletherapy session. The link may also be included with your session reminder.
- At the time of the session, click on the link to be taken to the teletherapy session web page. Grant access to your microphone and camera, if requested.
- Your session will proceed much like your normal, in-person session.
We value your privacy and confidentiality. Upon scheduling your initial appointment, you will be invited to join the confidential client portal. Please remember your logon information and use the confidential client portal to contact your therapist about nonemergency matters. This is also where you can find information about your past and upcoming appointments, invoices, upload documents, and more. To access the client portal, please click here.
For information on Cedar Tree’s privacy practices, please read
Your appointment is confirmed at the time of scheduling. We make every attempt to send you appointment reminders via text if you have consented on your intake form to receive text messages from us. Please be advised that text messages are not necessarily a confidential form of communication, so we will not communicate with you for any other purpose than reminders. Not receiving a text message is not an indication that your appointment is cancelled, so please come to your appointment regardless of whether you receive a reminder. In case of a missed appointment, please see our missed appointment policy below.
Payments and Insurance Claims
Unless other arrangements have been made in advance, your payment or copay/coinsurance is due at the time of the session – major credit cards, cash, checks, and money orders are accepted. There is a $20 fee for checks returned for insufficient funds.
We accept most major insurances for both behavioral/mental health services and Employee Assistance Programs (EAP). Please remember that not all therapists accept all insurances and that fees vary by therapist and type of session. You can ask about it when making your initial call to us, or you can check with your insurance company. Please remember it is the responsibility of the client to verify their benefits prior to obtaining services.
For your convenience, we will file with up to two insurance companies on your behalf.
Accounts more than 60 days overdue will be referred to a collection agency. In such cases, the collection agency will have personal identifiable information for you, such as name, address, phone number, date of birth, Social Security Number, dates of services, and amounts due. They will not have access to your clinical records.
Good Faith Estimate
Under the law, patients who don’t have insurance or who are not using insurance have the right to receive a Good Faith Estimate of the expected charges for medical services, including counseling/psychotherapy services.
You have the right to receive a Good Faith Estimate for the total expected cost of any non-emergency healthcare services, including counseling/psychotherapy services.
You can ask your healthcare provider for a Good Faith Estimate before you schedule a service.
If you receive a bill that is at least $400 more than your Good Faith Estimate, you can dispute the bill. Make sure to save a copy or picture of your Good Faith Estimate.
For questions or more information about your right to a Good Faith Estimate, visit www.cms.gov/nosurprises.
Missed Appointment Policy
Scheduled appointment times are reserved especially for you. Our fee for missed appointments and late cancellations (less than 24 hours) is now $100. As we understand emergencies happen, the first no-show for the year is $50. If your missed appointment is due to inclement weather and the schools in your area are closed, you will not be charged a no-show fee. Some therapists may have a different policy so check with your therapist in your first session.
If you should experience any symptoms such as fever, coughing, exhaustion, or shortness of breath, please call your doctor and do not come to the office until your doctor advises that you do not have contagious symptoms. If you have any concern that may have a contagious illness, please either change your in-person appointment to telehealth or reschedule.
If your schedule includes periods of time longer than 30 days when you are unable to schedule an appointment, please let your therapist know. If you do not have a scheduled appointment, your therapist will attempt to reach you. If we do not receive a response to 2 attempts to reach you within 30 days your case will be closed. If you are an EAP client and miss 2 appointments without notifying your therapist, they will close your case and refer back to the EAP so they can give you a referral for another provider.
We Want You to Feel Safe and Comfortable in Our Office
We respect, and expect all of our visitors to respect, the safety and comfort of all who come through our doors. We work hard to keep our office clean, safe, and beautiful at all times. Please do not bring any food, beverages, alcohol, illegal substances, or firearms on our premises. Smoking is not allowed anywhere on our premises, including the parking lot. Any aggression or disrespect toward any client or staff member, be it verbal, physical, or in written communication, may lead to immediate discharge from services. No animals, including emotional support animals, are allowed in the building. Anyone in violation of this policy will be asked to leave, and that will count as a missed appointment. *This does not apply to trained service animals as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act. Thank you for your understanding.
We Want to Hear from You
Your opinion matters. Whether you are happy with your services or have constructive feedback, we want to hear from you. Please request that your counselors send you a Client Satisfaction Survey through the confidential client portal to share your opinion with us. If you prefer to complete the survey anonymously, please request a paper survey at the front desk. You can also call our CEO directly at 615-301-8437.